Cheat Day [cheet dey] – noun: The one day of the week where diet minded fitness freaks throw caution to the wind and indulge only on the most tantalizing, ridiculously calorie dense foods known to man. Often associated with the term, “carb hangover,” which occurs the morning after a particularly fruitful cheat day. Synonyms: Free Day, Fun Day, Fat Day

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Cake Batter Popcorn and Chubby Hubby Popcorn

So once upon a time I decided to prematurely reinstate Cheat Day after being on probation, clearly disobeying my well intentioned nutritionist and letting my cravings for cinnamon rolls and beer prevail.  Shoot.  Oh well.  I was a pretty epic day, in more way than one:

Woke up at 4:00 in the freaking morning.  Husband was altogether too chipper.  Felt urge to knock him down a couple pegs/kick him in shins.  Drank coffee instead.

Much stretching and coffee drinking and aspirin taking occurred in next half hour.

Kathy (running buddy, friend, ride) shows up and hauls my butt downtown to park the car near the finish line of the impending race.

Bus (smelly, hot, full of more chipper people) takes us to the start line.  There is something about sitting on a bus for a half an hour that is extremely unsettling, when you know that your own way back is to run.

But we did it- we ran the 12.4 miles back to the finish line!  It was hot, and humid, and kind of really awesome.  My three awesome running buddies and I finished and actually had a pretty darn good time people watching, chatting, and accomplishing something pretty amazing.  We trained together, started together and finished together.

So after all this, and about an hour of locating my family in a crowd of thousands of sweaty, disoriented people throwing back the free beer, the whole "no cheat day thing" went out the window.  And it went something like this:
- Cinnamon Rolls and coffee after the run
- Almond Bars from freezer
- A rouge Cadbury Egg that somehow had managed to avoid being eaten until now
- Salami
- Chicken Salad wrap
- Philly Cheese Steak
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Nachos
- Apple Crisp with whipped cream that my mom forgot at my house and is now gone

Annnnnd popcorn.  But not just any popcorn.  Popcorn that was totally not my idea that I stole from another blog! Cake Batter Popcorn!  And, since I was popping up some pop corn anyway, I decided to dig through the pantry to see if inspiration would strike.  I ended up making up some "Chubby Hubby" popcorn which was great, but I found so many things that I could have put in the popcorn, but I had to hold myself back.

Also, I think I might have a hoarding problem.  It's not normal to have 3.5 packages of Ghiriadelli chocolate chips on hand the weekend after you made a recipe aimed at using up the chocolate chips in your pantry.  I also neglected to include the toffee I found, several packages of girl scout cookies, as well as both Christmas AND Easter candy (ok- I used a little of the Easter Candy.)

So here's my journey into the wild world of pouring melted white chocolate over candy and popcorn.  In no way could this recipe NOT turn out delicious.

Cake Batter Popcorn and Chubby Hubby Popcorn
Start by gathering up your mix ins.  For this recipe, that'll be sprinkles for the Cake Batter popcorn, and for the Chubby Hubby you'll need Reese's candy along with chocolate covered pretzels filled with peanut butter.  Chop up whatever needs to be chopped up:



Next, pop your popcorn and pour it into a bowl.

I first poured mine onto the counter top and transferred it into the bowl, avoiding any unpopped kernels.




Start melting your white chocolate over a double boiler.


As the chocolate is melting, throw half of your mix ins into the bowl with the popcorn.



If you are doing the cake batter kind, once the chocolate is melted, wisk in 1/4 cup cake batter and sprinkle another 1/8 cup over the popcorn itself.

Pour the white chocolate over the popcorn and mix until coated.  Pour the mixture onto some parchment paper to let it harden up.


Sprinkle the rest of the candy over the top and you are done!



You can drizzle some dark chocolate over the popcorn if you'd like.  I'd be ok with that.














Yum.


So this was way easy, and way fun.  You can be creative and throw in whatever kind of candy you like.  I took out about half the cake batter kind all on my very own, and a good portion of the chubby hubby.  This is pure salty sweet perfection.  It's recipe time!

Cake Batter Popcorn

Ingredients:
One bag butter popcorn
3/8 cup yellow cake mix
8 ounces White Chocolate
4 tbsp sprinkles
Chocolate for drizzling (optional)

Directions
Pop popcorn and sift out unpopped or burned kernels.  Put into a large bowl and top with 2 tbsp of the sprinkles and 1/8 cup cake mix.  Melt white chocolate and pour over popcorn mixture.  Stir until coated and pour mixture onto parchment paper.  Top with remaining sprinkles and drizzle with chocolate if desired.  Let cool and break into pieces.

Chubby Hubby Popcorn
Ingredients
One bag butter popcorn
8 ounces White Chocolate
2.5 ounces of Reese's Candy's (about 4 peanut butter eggs)
3.5 ounces chocolate covered, peanut butter filled pretzels 
Chocolate for drizzling (optional)

Directions
Chop candy.  Pop popcorn and sift out unpopped or burned kernels.  Put into a large bowl and top with half of the mix ins.  Melt white chocolate and pour over popcorn mixture.  Stir until coated and pour mixture onto parchment paper.  Top with remaining candy and drizzle with chocolate if desired.  Let cool and break into pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment