Cheat Day [cheet dey] – noun: The one day of the week where diet minded fitness freaks throw caution to the wind and indulge only on the most tantalizing, ridiculously calorie dense foods known to man. Often associated with the term, “carb hangover,” which occurs the morning after a particularly fruitful cheat day. Synonyms: Free Day, Fun Day, Fat Day

Monday, July 18, 2011

Cake Batter Ice Cream (and Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches!)

So recently I discovered that I'm lactose intolerant.  Actually, let's go with "lactose sensitive."  A. Because I haven't gone to a doctor to diagnose this and B. Because I want to eat lactose anyway, which means I'm not "intolerant" to it.  I will undoubtedly tolerate a horrendous stomach ache for food.  Hell, on Cheat Day I'll wolf down deep fried whatever covered in cheese and dipped in ranch with a side of an entire large pepperoni pizza and follow that up with bacon and cookie bars and regret.  How do you think I feel after eat all that?  I feel awful.  But I'm a trooper and eat it all anyway.

So since Cheat Day is all about eating everything I can't during the week, I somehow determined that eating dairy on Cheat Day is ok.  Plus it's really flippin hot outside.  So I figured that ice cream had to be on the agenda for the day.

Was this a wise decision?  Probably not, considering how awful I felt afterwards.  But do I plan on making ice cream again next weekend?  Yes, sir!

I'll never learn...

Cake Batter Ice Cream Sandwiches
The glorious thing about making this was that it was so incredibly easy.  I should have broken out the ice cream maker much earlier in the season!

Start by whisking 3/4 cup white sugar into 1 cup of whole milk.  Pour 2 cups of cream into a measuring cup, and add 2 tsp of pure vanilla into it.

Yes, I took a picture of a measuring cup full of cream.  Wouldn't you?  

Whisk together your cream mixture and your milk mixture.  Turn on your ice cream maker and pour it in slowly.  I suggest a funnel at this point.

5 minutes before your ice cream maker should be done (use the instructions for your machine.)  Add in 1 cup of yellow cake mix.  Let it incorporate in.  Grab spoonfuls and taste.  

When the ice cream has reached your desired consistency, pour into a freezer safe container and cover tightly.  I put a layer of saran wrap directly on the surface of mine.  You'll want to let it set in the freezer for at least an hour before you serve it up, or in my case make ice cream cookie sandwiches.  This would be a good time to go see the Harry Potter movie.  Go ahead, I'll wait...


...


...


... annnnnnd we're back.

So you can go ahead and serve it up as it, and be extremely happy, becuase it is extremely amazing. 

Two wee little bowls for hubby and I.  Just to taste!

But since Cheat Day is all about excess, I couldn't leave well enough alone.  It's cookie time, baby!  My husband's absolute favorite cookie is just basic Chocolate Chip cookies.  For an ice cream cookie, I think I'll try something else next time.  Once frozen, these aren't particularly soft and the chocolate chips are rock solid.  BUT, when you just assemble and eat- they are fantastic.  So I feel like that is just a fantastic excuse to eat all of these as you prepare them.

PS: If you make a whole recipe of the cookies, you'll have extra.  This problem is exacerbated when you down half the ice cream before you start assembling sandwiches.  Oops!

Cookie time!  Soften your butter and cream it with your sugar, brown sugar and vanilla.  

Add in two eggs, one at a time, incorporating into the batter after each.

Mix in your flour, baking soda and salt. 

Next, it's time for your mix ins.  If you do flan on freezing the cookies, I suggest mini chocolate morsels or mini M&M's.  I did full size and I think this would be much better.
Mix your add ins into your dough, and you are good to go!


Drop dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet and cook for 8 min at 375 (or until done.)


Let cool.  Sample.  Enjoy. 


These have M&M's.  Because they are delicious. 

Line em' up and get them ready to be made into sandwiches. 

Try to pair up like sized cookies for the pretties looking sandwiches. 

I used a mini ice cream scoop to pile on about 2.5 scoops onto each cookie.  Smash the top cookie on, and run your finger around the side for a clean edge.  You can also rim these in sprinkles or mini chocolate chips, but I liked them as is. 
Next?  Take lots of pictures. Eat lots of ice cream sandwiches.  Be happy.


Verdict?  Perfect little summer treat!  The ice cream was perfection- I am going to have to have many more ice cream experiments throughout the summer!  Next up?  Who knows, cookie dough?  Brownie batter?  I'll come up with something.

The cookies are great as is, but like I said before, I'm not a huge fan of  once they are frozen.  I suggest assembling and eating immediately.

Recipe time!

Cake Batter Ice Cream
Recipe adapted from: Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker Recipe Book

Ingredients
3/4 cup White Sugar
1 cup Whole Milk
2 cups Cream
2 tsp Pure Vanilla
1 cup Yellow Cake Mix (like Betty Crocker)

Directions
Whisk sugar into milk until dissolved.  Pour vanilla into your cream.  Combine milk and cream.  Freeze according to your ice cream makers directions.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe adapted from: Original Nestle Cookie Recipe 

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) mini chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 375

Cream butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Gradually beat in flour, baking soda and salt. Stir in morsels.

Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.  Bake for 8 min or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment