Cheat Day [cheet dey] – noun: The one day of the week where diet minded fitness freaks throw caution to the wind and indulge only on the most tantalizing, ridiculously calorie dense foods known to man. Often associated with the term, “carb hangover,” which occurs the morning after a particularly fruitful cheat day. Synonyms: Free Day, Fun Day, Fat Day

Sunday, April 24, 2011

My Favorite Butter Cream Frosting

The quest for the perfect butter cream has not been easy.  Countless hours were spent in the kitchen preparing batch after batch of delicious frosting.  Do you use butter or shortening?  Vanilla, butter, or almond extract?  Should you make traditional or Swiss?  Thin it with cream or milk?  The variations are never ending.

Oh- silly me, did I lead you to believe that I actually tried all these recipes?  Oops!  That was all Michelle.  Just one of the many benefits of having a friend who tested out recipes for wedding cakes- I got to taste the fruits of Michelle's labor.  Thanks, friend!

She has so graciously shared with me her findings along the way, and while I've made my fair share of butter creams, the credit for finding the perfect one goes all to her!  Yay Michelle!

My Favorite Butter Cream Frosting
Adapted from: http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Buttercream-Icing
Note: this is for the best tasting butter cream- if you are looking for a crisp, white frosting you should probably do a little experimenting on your own.  The Wilton recipe without the modification below is pretty good- but to have a completely crisp white you may need to use all shortening.  I find that icky, because butter is heavenly, but it's pretty.

Ingredients
2 sticks of softened butter (Sometimes if I'm feeling saucy, I use half Irish Butter.  Using all Irish Butter results in a very yellow, but adorable and delicious, frosting!)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 (1 lb) box of powdered sugar (Sifted, if you are feeling motivated.  Or just spooned in slowly)
2 tbsp milk (I have used skim if that's what I have on hand, but I love 2%.  Michelle is a cream girl.  I knew I liked her for a reason.)

Directions
Cream your butter and then add in your vanilla.  Gradually add in your powdered sugar, one cup at a time, making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl often.  The frosting will appear dry at this point.  Add in your milk and beat until fluffy.  You can play around with how much milk you add if you prefer a different consistency, but these proportions have always served me well!


No comments:

Post a Comment