Cheat Day [cheet dey] – noun: The one day of the week where diet minded fitness freaks throw caution to the wind and indulge only on the most tantalizing, ridiculously calorie dense foods known to man. Often associated with the term, “carb hangover,” which occurs the morning after a particularly fruitful cheat day. Synonyms: Free Day, Fun Day, Fat Day

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Adventures in Fondant

So last week, I was procrastinating packing to go on a work trip.  I started brainstorming things I could be doing that wasn't preparing for a week in Chicago learning all about supply chain terminology and how handle being the youngest/most estrogen filled individual in the room.  I came up with the following...

1. Nap
2. Marry the cat and the dog so they are no longer living in "sin"
3. Make Fondant!


Since I wasn't really tired and I didn't have a pug sized wedding dress on hand, I opted for the third option.  Plus, I had about four marshmallows left over from making my S'more Brownie Bars, and I didn't want that precious commodity to go to waste.  I'm a regular Pioneer woman- it's like coming up with recipes to use all the weird parts of the cow.  But instead of cow parts, it's marshmallows.


So please note, my proportions pictured are drastically scaled back, but I figured I'd try it out anyway! I can't wait for the opportunity to try this out in a larger scale!


And before I start, I need to get up on my soap box a little bit regarding fondant.  Fondant makes things cute and pretty- that is all.  It is not "cheat day worthy" nor is it, in ANY situation, a replacement for frosting.  In all scenarios where fondant is used, there should be a thick, creamy, delicious butter cream frosting layer underneath.  Period.  End of discussion.  Fondant is the edible and insanely more adorable equivalent of when grocery stores put plastic decorations on a cake, like so. Wow- that's a terrible example- but you get the idea. Jazzes up the cake, but you wouldn't want to mow down on a plastic bunny head, now would you?

Steps off soapbox- it's fondant time.


Marshmallow Fondant 
Follow the directions below to create your fondant ball- but I'm starting out picture time right at the fun part.  Because really, I dot think you really need pictures of me microwaving marshmallows. 

On a well powdered sugar surface, roll out your fondant, and from here you can cover a cake, or create designs.
So, since I wasn't sure where to go from here- having no cake to cover- I decided to make a little flower.
I worked my way along the edge of the dough to create little "half hearts" which were destined to be petals.

First, I reshaped the petal with my hands to make sure that there weren't any rough edges.  You'll get something like the petal in the back here. 

Next, I created a little crease with a butter knife, just like the petal in the middle. 

Finally, I pinched the petal together to finish it and add some dimension. 






 

Once you have enough, create a center by rolling a little ball and top a cupcake with your adorable little fondant flower!

Daw!  Now isn't that just adorable!  Not bad for 4 leftover jumbo marshmallows, some powdered sugar, and a whole lot of procrastination!  Verdict: palatable.  It's fondant, what are you expecting?  The cupcake underneith it is definately cheat day worthy- and the fondant just fancies that sucker up.

Recipe time!

Marshmallow Fondant
Recipe adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/marshmallow-fondant/Detail.aspx

Ingredients
Cooking spray
1 (16 ounce) package miniature (or any) marshmallows
4 tablespoons water (warm from the tap)
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
2 pounds confectioners' sugar, one cup set aside

Recipe
Put your marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl.  The recipe calls for mini's, but I used jumbo and it turned out just fine!

Start melting the marshmallows in the microwave (about 30 sec - 1 min) and stir in 4 tablespoons hot from the tap water, and 1 tsp vanilla.  Stir until smooth.

Start adding your powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until a stiff ball forms.  Spray your hands with cooking spray, and kneed the dough on a clean surface until it is no longer as sticky and it's more pliable. Wrap ball in plastic wrap, and put in the refrigerator overnight until you are ready to roll out or mold!

No comments:

Post a Comment